Monday, January 25, 2010

Stoplights and Curly Fries



You ever have one of those Mondays that just, well, for want of a better word... bites? Waking up late for work, got a ton to get done, traffic is a nightmare, "can't do a thing with my hair", blah, blah, blah... Stress is building and not a friend to the human condition. Sometimes you just have to find little bits of happiness where you can. That's where Stoplights and Curly Fries come into play.

A 20 mile drive down Highway 400 ahead of me, an empty gas tank, gas is 30 cents more per gallon at the only station nearby, and it's nearing five p.m. Just lovely. "Splash" $11 dollars into the tank just to get the delivery done and get back to the "cheap" gas station. Remember those carefree bygone days of yesteryear when gas was actually under $2 per gallon? Ahhh... the memories...

Anywho, I get back on the road and pull up to the stoplight at the on-ramp to 400 anticipating the "lovely", "leisurely" drive ahead of me. Stomach is tight. Tension headache coming on...

Have you ever heard that dogs relieve tension? Even just watching a dog sleep can relieve tension. No! Seriously! I've actually heard that. "They" say it's a scientific fact. Who are "they" anyway? Though whoever "they" are, "they" are correct. So where am I going with this ramble about sleeping dogs? How could this possibly have anything to do with Stoplights and Curly Fries?

Stomach is tight. Tension headache is coming on. I look to my left as I sit at the stoplight. There's a woman in a gray Jeep Cherokee sitting next to me. I can't hear what she's listening to. There's no one else in the car but her. She has a box of curly fries in her hand and the most pleasant and contented smile on her face. For a few moments before getting on with my ride through hell, I take a deep breath, stomach feels better, headache eases for just a bit... and smile. Still wondering about my "sleeping dog ramble"? You have to get a little peace of mind where you can in this crazy world. Most people would have just seen a woman eating curly fries, but to a chef food is happiness and to whoever that was, you're curly fries brought TWO people a little happiness on this crazy planet hurtling through space. And I didn't even have to eat one! Bon Appetit!